Monday, November 23, 2009

In memory of Charles the piano teacher

My son's piano teacher died.
We'd just started with him this fall. Adam liked Charles. He didn't use a conventional "method." His method was asking Adam what he wanted to play and teaching him how to play it. Because Adam can read music, they focused on fingering and rhythm.
They were working on Beethoven's "Fur Elise," and tonight when my son was tinkering on the keys, he said it felt weird to play it. 
Charles just turned 50 in October. According to his Web site, he died as the result of injuries sustained in a crash.
He was very wise and had a gentle way with my son, who tends toward the negative and lacks a little in self-confidence (didn't we all in seventh grade?). The best line Charles delivered, "You're confusing 'I can't' with 'I don't know how.'"
I'm bummed.

1 comment:

Phyllis Bernel said...

Oh, I'm just so saddened, Noelle. I liked him. Gosh, I just feel awful. It's hard to figure out why things happen. Some say 'it's for a reason.' I sometimes cannot find that reason. I am just so sorry. It wasn't all that long ago that I met him. He really was a nice man. Oh my goodness.