Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More on rules ...

A good friend read my post "My Rules for Dating" from 9/27/10. Within minutes of seeing each other last week, he said, "I read your blog about rules ..." Then he paused and prepped himself for what he was about to say, and I got nervous because I'd possibly offended him.
"If I should be so lucky as to some day find myself in a situation where I get to experience a first kiss, I don't care if it's in front of a car or where it is! I'll just be so grateful to be there," he said.
Therein lies the problem of writing an opinion piece. Even seasoned and talented columnists from the former Scottsdale Tribune forget that an opinion is "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." (Dictionary.com)
Another male friend posted a comment, "You have too many rules."
People.
Consider that my "rules" come from somewhere. Consider that I've had enough experiences with something that I raised my bar. Two more rules: (If were still single) no smokers and no drug addicts.
I never said that my rules for dating made sense. I never said that everyone should adopt my rules. I never even said that my rules were right.
They're mine. Not yours. Get your own.

No comments: