Monday, June 23, 2008

Is he cubicle-worthy?

I went to an event a week ago with the new guy in my life, and a co-worker snapped a shot of us together with one of those point-and-shoot disposable 35-mm cameras. The picture came out well, which is a rarity for me.
I typically don't photograph well and my already over-sized head looks even larger when it's flattened on photo paper. Big and round.
Spying the new photo tacked to my cubicle wall, another co-worker said, "Is that the new boy?" Yes, I said. "Oh," she said, sounding surprised. "He's cubicle worthy?"
Funny thing is, I debated what to do with this photo. We've been seeing each other for only a few weeks, so is it too soon to add him to my workspace? I actually hesitated and gave it some thought. "If I tack this photo to my wall, what does it mean?"
I wanted to ask her, "Well, how long did you date your boyfriend before you brought him into your cubicle?"
Cubicle bling means something - it tells your co-workers who you are. It makes a statement: This is a big part of my life. I display two images of my son and one of my Little Sister (my match from Big Brothers Big Sisters). I also have a faux magazine cover that was a gift from my former coworkers and press passes and Super Bowl volunteer badges proudly hanging from a hook.
These items are trophies. Achievements. Sources of pride. Things that make me smile.
The photo sat on my desk for several hours. While I toiled away, I occasionally stole glances at it, first checking how my arms look (need to do more bicep curls and shoulder lifts) then looking at his sweet face.
He makes me smile. I tacked the photo to the wall. I decide it means that I like him and that's all it has to mean.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Greetings from Christie of Lansing.
I blog too, mainly as a hobby and to say to a future employer, hey I can blog.
http://bulldogdays.blogspot.com/

Probably about two people visit it a month.

Still involved with SPJ; we have a forum next Thursday on politics (one of my least favorite subjects), but it's that time of year.

Take care.